THE PICKING & SHELLING OF SOAPNUTS PROVIDES EMPLOYMENT TO POOR VILLAGERS, WHICH FORMS A MAJOR PART OF THEIR INCOME.
|Frequently Asked Questions - Soapnuts|
• Are soapnuts safe to use on my delicate clothes ?
Yes. You can even use it to wash the most delicate of fabrics such as wool & silk. Its gentleness maintains the fabric structure of the clothes for longer.
• Are Soapnuts able to maintain the brightness and whiteness of my clothes ?
Yes. We recommend however that whites and colours are washed separate. A eco friendly laundry bleach may be used if you feel the need for that extra boost.
• Are soapnuts able to soften clothes or do we need to add any fabric softeners ?
No. Soapnuts will leave your clothes soft and fresh, without the use of any fabric softeners.
• Are Soapnuts safe for people with sensitive skin ?
Yes. Soapnuts are a safe way to look after your clothes and skin. They are chemical free and hypoallergenic. It is recommended that children and people with sensitive skin use soapnuts.
• Are Soapnuts a problem if someone is allergic to nuts ?
No. Soapnuts are not nuts. They are a fruit. So people with nut allergies need not worry.
• Soapnuts have a mild vinegar like fragrance. Are my clothes going to hold onto that fragrance ?
Once you have finished your washing, the clothes will be fragrance free. Adding a couple of drops of your favourite essential oil will give your clothes a nice smell.
• How many soapnuts are required per wash ?
It all depends on the size and quality of the soapnuts. But on average, around 6-8 shells are sufficient. If the water is soft, then even 3-4 shells will do the trick. A bit of trial and error will help you understand what best suits your washing conditions.
• There are not that many visible suds, is that a problem ?
No. Your cleaning will be just as effective without the presence of suds. There are no commercial foaming agents or chemicals added, which are commonly used in commercial detergents.
• Does it matter that the nuts are in pieces and not as a whole ?
No. Actually it is better if the nuts are in smaller pieces. Many people crush the soapnut shells into smaller pieces so that the contact surface with the water increases.
• Can soapnuts to be used more than once ?
It depends on the washing conditions. If you are using cold water, then it is possible to reuse the shells. Saponins are released slower in cold water. In warm to hot water, the shells can only be used once.
• What should we do with the soapnuts once they have been used ?
Put them in your compost bin or throw them in the waste bin. They are 100% bio degradable.
• Do soapnuts have a shelf life ?
No. They however need to be stored properly in an airtight bag. If they are left open, they absorb moisture easily and become dark and sticky. This does not affect the product or its cleaning capabilities. They will still wash brilliantly.
• Why do people claim that soapnuts are water and energy saving ?
Commercial detergents need to be rinsed out of the clothes completely as they leave a soapy residue. Since soapnuts are a 100% natural product with no soapy residue, you can reduce the machine rinse cycles, hence saving valuable electricity and water.
• Are soapnuts safe for my machine ?
Yes. It is a 100% natural product without any harsh chemicals. The life of the machine will only be greater if you use soapnuts. If you are switching to using soapnuts, it will even clean your machine of any chemical residues from any previous washing.
• Is soapnut liquid ok to use in my washing machine ?
Yes. Depending on the concentration of the liquid, you can add it accordingly. It is best to experment and see what works best for you.
• Are soapnuts effective for really dirty laundry ?
Yes. Only thing to remember is that you may need to reduce the clothes in the machine to give some room for the clothes to move freely.
• Are the seeds any good for washing ?
No. The seeds are the round black balls. They contain no saponin. So the only thing that might be of any use is to plant them. Depending on the climatic conditions, it might grow. However, it normally takes 9 years before you will see any results. If you still want to experiment, then soak the seed in warm water for 24 hours and then sow it about an inch into the ground.
Have a question ? CLICK HERE